New Mental Health Act code of practice
A revised code of practice for the Mental Health Act 1983 has been published. This modified code of practice provides guidelines for professionals on carrying out their roles and responsibilities and improving the level of care for all patients. The main changes to the code include:
• 5 new guiding principles
• new chapters on care planning, human rights, equality and health inequalities
• consideration of when to use the Mental Health Act and when to use the Mental Capacity Act 2005 and Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards and information to support victims
• new sections on physical health care, blanket restrictions, duties to support patients with dementia and immigration detainees
• significantly updated chapters on the appropriate use of restrictive interventions, particularly seclusion and long-term segregation, police powers and places of safety
• further guidance on how to support children and young people, those with a learning disability or autism.
The revised code will come into force from the 1st April 2015.
To read the revised code of practice, click here